Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Paying for College-Work can Work

How to pay for college, is on the mind of many families. My own experience, way back was the knowledge that any education I received would be paid for by work. Good fortunate, and being observed by experienced teachers allowed me to find jobs in my field from the second semester at community college. Small scholarships, were supplemented by full time jobs. At Teachers College - Columbia University​, I found a position through the employment center at Alfred Einstein Hospital which unbeknownst to me was affiliated with the Health and Hospital Workers Union, that contributed to my education. I graduated owing $13,000. Today, I am working with students who are doing the same, of course their college experience (fun) is measured differently. But life always has gives and takes, my Community college students often have 4 jobs.Here is a hint.. if this is your situation-make sure to find positions in your field or related to it. This means like me working in schools/hospitals, editing for a professor, restaurant work (hospitality major's), etc..This requires effort, and results in a strong resume and employment upon graduation. The adage Theory without Practice-world firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment