Tuesday, April 22, 2014

What is the real world? Does a real world exist? I think not at least not in the state or way that many are taught, directed, and many are programmed to believe. Thinking with compassion of former students and others-including myself at that time who after graduating from an all encompassing experience-i.e. college find themselves facing what are few options. My own experiences after completing each degree and working my way through colleges was depression-and not knowing what to do. Each successful completion left me in the midst of a recession where positions were not plentiful. Earning a doctorate at Teachers College Columbia University was a honor for sure. Landing, was postpartum-addressed by early morning bicycle rides on the then downed Westside Highway. Eventually, I found an ill-suited corporate position followed by a stint as a fundraiser. Then concurrent with my thesis being published, a late night idea to start my own business a general practice in education-becoming one of the first learning centers in the US--and a source of great happiness. Graduates, I am sharing my experience with you, in hopes that if facing the same situation as I-take a risk and when that dream surfaces follow it--and the door will open--even if more slowly then wished.

No comments:

Post a Comment